I have vivid and unusual dreams, when I remember them. Often, they play out like movies. If dreams can tell us anything about ourselves, then this dream journal should tell a lot about me! (Let's hope it doesn't just say I'm a crazy lady.)

Sunday 15 June 2014

Talking with an Agent about My Writing



I had a strange but lovely dream last night. We were all at some sort of get-together for Chapter Book Challenge members. Jill Corcoran from Jill Corcoran Literary Agency was there and called many of us into another room. She then proceeded, one by one, to tell us what she thought of our books. She really liked them all, and offered to agent for four ChaBooCha members. Those members were Kelly McDonald, Melissa Gijsbers, Cecilia Clark and Becky Chevalier. For some reason, the books of mine she went over were actually two of my non-fiction books. She said they were marketable and well-written.


She mentioned a funny misspelling that was the kind you get with auto-correct (which was the only thing she found wrong in one of the books) - the word "testicles" used where it should have been "tentacles." Since these were my non-fiction books, I highly doubt I have either of those words in them, but I will do a "find word" search on my manuscripts today, just in case my subconscious was trying to warn me.

She was holding one of my manuscripts in book form, with a cover and all. I know I have not published this book yet, and definitely not in the hard back form that it was in within the dream, but I have taken note of the cover in the dream because it was pretty cool. It also meant that she went out of her way to find copies of my books. she actually went out of her way to find copies of all of our manuscripts so she could surprise us. In some cases, she asked our significant others for the manuscripts.

She didn't offer to represent me based on these two books as these two books of mine are already, mostly, published on the web, and she knew I planned to self-publish them. She offered to look at some of my fiction manuscripts though.

The strange bit was that I then woke up, making it possible for me to remember the dream and the great feeling I had at the time. I never wake up at this particular time of night and there was nothing going on in my house to cause me to wake. I think my subconscious mind just really knew I needed that good feeling about my writing to last for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment