I have vivid and unusual dreams, when I remember them. Often, they play out like movies. If dreams can tell us anything about ourselves, then this dream journal should tell a lot about me! (Let's hope it doesn't just say I'm a crazy lady.)

Thursday 7 August 2008

Armageddon?

I had another strange dream.

Something had happened in the world. I'm not clear on what it was - just that it changed the world as we know it. Money would no longer buy anything. Food was hard to come by. Luxuries were hard to come by. People were getting sick and dying. People were leaving the cities and heading for more remote areas. We left our home, taking only what we could fit in a van that we bought.

We moved to a mobile home. There was a community of them set up in a large field. The community was important. Everyone got to know each other and everyone helped each other with the skills that they each had. It was understood that, when leaving the community, even if just to drive and see what was happening elsewhere, danger lurked everywhere, because there were unscrupulous people out there who were terrorizing others.

Life went on like this for quite some time (a year?). And there were times I thought back to the luxuries of life before and felt sorry that my younger children wouldn't know those luxuries, and other times I realized that the sense of community we all had now was just as important, if not more so.

One of a neighbour's daughters was getting married to a boy she had met since moving to the community. I could see the sadness in her eyes when her mother brought out a floral print dress that was very plain and said she would bring it in and fix it up to look nice for her to have as a wedding dress. I realized that I had many beautiful white dresses back at my house in the city. I decided there were lots of reasons to go for a scavenging trip back to the city, so my husband Robert and I arranged for the kids to be taken care of and set off.

We didn't encounter any dangers along the way. There were lots of abandoned vehicles though, and everything was void of life, human life though, not wildlife. Nature was creeping back and slowly taking back its land.

At our house, I grabbed all the pretty dresses I had in my closet and the girls' closets, my wedding dress, and decided to go looking through the toys to bring some toys back to the children (my children and others' children). I found bags of candy and chocolate that we had not brought with us the first time because they were not a staple food. I grabbed it all because I knew it would be a real treat as no one in the community had eaten anything like it in a long time.

I happened to look out the big back window to the back garden, which had become overgrown with weeds, grass and wildflowers. (Except, in the dream, it wasn't a window but a glass sliding door.) I saw some leopard cubs at the far end of the garden, seemingly unbothered by my presence. Closer, in some nearby bushes, some fox cubs and their parents peeked out at me. The fox cubs, curious, started to approach me. I opened the sliding door, and they jumped back at the sound. It was the parents of the cubs that approached me first, sniffing my hand and allowing themselves to be petted.

Not wanting to disturb them too much, I slid the door shut again and went back to my search through the house. I came across a lot of things that would be useful. Then we packed up and began our drive back to the community.

A lot more happened in the dream before the trip back to our city home, but I can't remember it all clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment